- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid isolated areas.
- Avoid walking alone at night. Call District Police at your campus for an escort if needed.
- Walk with friends when possible.
- Use a lighted pathway.
- Tell a friend where you are going and when you will return.
- Notify District Police immediately of suspicious or criminal activity.
In Your Car:
- Keep your car in good running condition to avoid a breakdown.
- Plan your route in advance, particularly on long or unfamiliar trips.
- Have enough gas money to get you to your destination and back.
- Drive with all car doors locked. Keep windows rolled up.
- Never pick up hitchhikers.
When Walking Alone:
- Stay alert. Keep your mind on your surroundings.
- Trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable in a situation, leave.
- Find out what buildings are open late where you can summon help if needed.
- Vary your route and schedule.
- Avoid walking or jogging at night. If you must be out at night, wear reflective clothing.
- Consider not wearing headphones as they limit what you can hear.
- Activate the fire alarm if you detect a fire in a building.
- Exit by the nearest stairway. Call 5911 from a college phone or 559-244-5911 from a pay phone to notify District Police of the situation.
- Learn the locations of the emergency exits and fire equipment.
- Always exit the building in the event of a fire alarm.
- Never leave textbooks, purses, or book bags unattended.
- Secure cash, checkbooks, and credit cards in a safe place.
- Carry only small amounts of cash.
- Notify District Police immediately to report lost or stolen property.
- Invest in a good steel padlock.
- Lock the bike frame and wheels to a bike rack (not trees, posts, etc.).
- Use a helmet and obey all traffic laws.
- Do not leave laptops unattended.
- Record the serial number of the computer, equipment, etc.
- Use anchor security devices to lock personal computers.
- Keep your vehicle locked when it’s parked and when you drive.
- Do not leave your valuables in plain view.
- Lock them in the trunk.
- Park near lighted areas when possible.
- Report suspicious activity immediately.